October 1, 2017
Nature of Work
Under the policy direction of the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for directing the administrative and technical activities of the Northeast Missouri Regional Planning Commission / Rural Development Corporation (NEMO RPC/RDC) and Economic Development District (EDD).
Responsibilities performed on a daily/weekly basis include:
- Attendance at meetings and carrying out all NEMO RPC/RDC Committees and Boards policies and decisions.
- Managing, coordinating and overseeing all programs administered by the NEMO RPC/RDC, with special emphasis on community and economic development.
- Acting as liaison with national, state and local government officials and agencies, other planning commissions, related organizations and the private sector.
- Developing and implementing effective methods of communication with local elected officials in the region.
- Promoting commission activities through public speaking functions, contact with news media, professional organizations and other public interest groups.
- Supervising all communication activities, promotional materials, web site, news releases, bulletins, meeting agendas, office memos, reports (quarterly, semiannual and annual) and releasing information for public to local media.
- Formulating and recommending program and budget policies to the Board.
- Working with fiscal officer and budget committee in preparation of annual budget, fiscal monitoring and recommending amendments to the budget.
- Overseeing and directing activities involved in procuring all funds necessary for effective and ongoing operation of the planning commission.
- Providing and supervising personnel, reviewing personnel grievances, evaluating employee performance at regular intervals and reviewing and making final decisions involving employee promotions and wage increases.
- Making personnel hiring and termination decisions in cooperation and coordination with the NEMO RDC Executive Board.
- Researching and writing a wide variety of federal, state and/or foundation grant applications for the RPC/RDC or its member governments.
- Administering and reporting functions for grants, programs and processes including the Economic Development Administration, Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Natural Resources, Department of Economic Development, USDA, Housing and Urban Development, Department of Transportation and others as required.
- Travel as required. Some travel may require overnight stays.
- Performance of any other task assigned by the Board of Directors.
The position requires knowledge of public administration, planning, business, economics, environmental conditions, regional planning, community development or related fields. Must have initiative, tenacity and commitment to understand and persevere in the pursuit of activities that will enhance the ability of local governments to provide services in the most cost effect, efficient manner possible. Must have personality traits conducive to working with superiors, peers, subordinates and members of the public from all socioČeconomic and cultural backgrounds. Must possess the following personality traits: maturity, honesty, integrity, adaptability, sensitivity, common sense, self-esteem, patience, wisdom, reliability, dedication to public service and problem-solving skills. Must possess a valid driver's license and dependable transportation.
Executive Director must be able to communicate effectively, in writing, by phone and in person. Must be able to travel to meetings and events in the region, throughout the state and across the nation if necessary. Must be able to drive and/or ride long distances. Night time driving is necessary. The constant use of hands and arms is required to type and write in order to complete necessary paperwork; must be able to sit long periods of time; must be able to lift boxes of files and must be able to navigate rough, unimproved terrain to monitor projects.
Compensation & Benefits
Executive Director serves at the pleasure of the Executive Board and compensation will be established by the Executive Board. Benefits such as Vacation and Sick leave; Medical, Dental, Eye, Employee Disability, Life and AD&D Insurance and LAGERS retirement will be established by the Executive Board. Salary is commensurate with capability and experience. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Instructions to Apply
Qualified applicants are asked to submit a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements and 3 written professional references to NEMO RPC/RDC by mail in sealed envelope labeled Executive Director, Attn: David Davison at Northeast Missouri Regional Planning Commission/ Rural Development Corporation and Economic Development District, 121 S. Cecil Street, Memphis, Missouri 63555 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional information please contact us at 660-465-7281. The position is open until filled. NEMO RPC/RDC information can be found at www.nemorpc.org.